This Saturday, 9/22, Mountainside Medical Equipment will be participating in the Alzheimer’s Association CNY Chapter’s 2012 Walk to End Alzheimer’s. The Mountainside Medical Walk to End Alzheimer’s Team is excited to be supporting a fantastic cause. For weeks, we have been fundraising and really bonding as a team. Even though preparation has been fun, we’re really looking forward to the walk this weekend.
As a Medical Supply Company, we are very aware of the debilitating effects this disease has on both the patient and caregiver. These quick facts and figures, provided by the Alzheimer’s Association, specifically reflect the impact of the disease within the United States:
- 5.4 million Americans are living with Alzheimer’s disease.
- One in eight older Americans has Alzheimer’s disease.
- Alzheimer’s disease is the sixth-leading cause of death in the United States, and the only cause of death among the top 10 in the United States that cannot be prevented, cured or even slowed.
- More than 15 million Americans provide unpaid care valued at $210 billion for persons with Alzheimer’s and other dementias.
- Payments for care are estimated to be $200 billion in the United States in 2012.
As baby boomers age over the next few decades, these numbers are expected to triple. By the year 2050, it is estimated that the number of Americans suffering from Alzheimer’s will reach 13.5 million. Also, for those fortunate enough not to develop the disease, many will likely act as a caregiver to someone with Alzheimer’s.
That is why we are working with the Alzheimer’s Association – to help provide a glimpse of hope amidst dismal numbers. The Alzheimer’s Association provides support programs to caregivers and family members of patients with Alzheimer’s, in addition to researching possible treatments, cures, and usable information on the disease.
There is still time to help the Alzheimer’s Association and to support Team Mountainside Medical for the Walk to End Alzheimer’s. Please consider making a tax deductible donation through our Team Fundraising page to the Alzheimer’s Association. Also, this Friday, 9/21, is Alzheimer’s Action Day. Wear purple to show your support and spread awareness of this disease!
To learn more about Alzheimer’s Disease facts, figures, and symptoms, or to get your Alzheimer’s purple items, please visit the Alzheimer’s Association website.