Tips for Minimizing Bothersome Insect Bites
Posted on June 11 2014
As we start spending more time outdoors and planning summer outings, at some point you’re likely to end up with a bug bite. While some bites may be more bothersome than others, there are some tips and tricks that can be used to help treat the bite and relieve the pain and/or itching. It’s also important to note that some people may be more sensitive to insect bites than others. Most people usually only experience mild reactions, though in rare cases, individuals may experience more severe allergic reactions, such as anaphylactic shock, which has the potential to be deadly.
Knowing and recognizing the signs of a severe reaction and getting immediate medical attention significantly increases the chances for better outcomes. Some of the signs to watch for include nausea, swelling, wheezing and difficulty breathing, abdominal pain, dizziness, fainting, and signs of shock like low blood pressure and poor circulation. If you notice any of these signs/symptoms, consult with your healthcare provider immediately. If you or the individual has an EpiPen (injectable epinephrine), give it to them immediately and then call 911. If they individual stops breathing, administer CPR until help arrives or they regain consciousness.
The Mayo Clinic Staff recommend using the following tips for treating mild to moderate insect bites/stings and making them more manageable.
Tips for treating mild reactions:
*Try to avoid getting more bites/stings
*Remove the stinger (if there is one)
*Wash the area with soap and warm water to help get rid of the irritating insect venom
*Use a cold pack applied to the site of the bite to help relieve any pain and swelling
*Use oral antihistamines, like Benadryl
Helping you and your family enjoy the great outdoors while combating insect bites and relieving the painful and annoying itch that comes with them, Mountainside Medical Equipment offers a wide variety of insect repellents, as well as anti-itch sprays, wipes, and creams.