International Men’s Day
Posted on November 19 2013
Today is International Men’s Day! This holiday focuses on improving and raising awareness on men and boy’s health, highlighting positive male role models and exists as just an overall special day for the ladies to appreciate the men in their lives! Ok, we made that last part up … but why not take today and do something for that special man in your life?
The origin of International Men’s day can be traced back to the 1960’s, but the first official celebration didn’t occur until 1999. Dr. Jerome Tellucksingh conceived and coordinated the event in Port of Spain, the capital of the Republic of Trinidad and Tobago. Dr. Tellucksigh promoted the importance of male role models and eventually received written support from the United Nations for the event. Currently, over 60 countries recognize Men’s Day.
People all over the world will be celebrating men’s day today and some methods of commemoration include public seminars, conferences, festivals, fundraisers, classroom activities at schools, radio and television programs, as well as peaceful displays and marches.
As a woman, how can you celebrate Men’s Day?
- Try cooking his favorite meal
- Take the family to the movies for some quality time together
- Arrange a nice quiet dinner for you and your man at your favorite restaurant
As a man, how can you celebrate Men’s Day?
- Do your body a favor and check in with your doctor to make sure you’re in good health
- Pass on the values you hold dear as a man to your children
- Take a time out to reflect and pat yourself on the back for all that you do for your family, community, and yourself.
Do you plan on celebrating International Men’s day today? Be sure to share how you will be celebrating with us!