Keep Your Heart Healthy
February is American Heart Month and a great time to focus on taking steps to improve or maintain a healthy heart. Integrating a diet and exercise regimen and performing regular monitoring of vital signs like blood pressure and pulse can go a long way to improving health, happiness, and longevity.
A few tips for a healthier heart:
1) Aim for 30 minutes of moderate activity everyday
2) If 30 minutes is hard to achieve, try starting with 10 minute increments
3) Participate in physical activities like biking, dancing, swimming, and games
4) Maintain a healthy weight - combine exercise with a healthy diet
5) If you smoke, stop
6) Regularly monitor blood pressure and pulse rates
7) Schedule and keep regular physician visits
8) Find a partner - reinforce the program by working together
9) Set goals - give yourself something to achieve
10) Keep a log – tracking your progress will reinforce your achievement
Heart disease is the leading cause of death in the U.S., but many of these occurrences can be delayed or prevented by implementing a heart healthy lifestyle. It's never too late to start working towards a healthier future.