Depo-Medrol is one of the most in-demand medical supplies on the market today. Read on to learn what it does and how it can be used for a wide variety of inflammatory conditions!
What Does Depo-Medrol Do?
Depo-Medrol, or methylprednisolone, is a corticosteroid with anti-inflammatory properties. It is the synthetic equivalent to naturally occuring glutocorticoid hormones. Conditions it can treat include:
- Arthritis and other joint disorders
- Blood disorders
- Severe allergic reactions
- Eye conditions
- Inflammatory diseases, including ones involving the intestinal system, skin, kidneys, or lungs
- Immune system disorders
- Certain cancers
How Does Depo-Medrol Work?
- Depo-Medrol is typically given as an injection into a muscle or soft tissue, into a skin lesion, into the space around a joint, or as an infusion into a vein.
- This allows Depo-Medrol to diffuse across the cellular membrane, where it binds to a glutocorticoid receptor, helping it to interact with specific DNA sequences.
- Depo-Medrol then takes a number of actions to reduce inflammation:
- Blocking the promoter sites of pro-inflammatory genes
- Promoting the expression of anti-inflammatory gene products, material resulting from expression of a gene
- Inhibits the synthesis of inflammatory cytokines, proteins involved in cell signaling, by blocking transcription factors such as nuclear factor-kappa-B (NF-kB)
It's crucial that hospitals, doctor's offices, and other medical services have access to the best in medical supplies. That's why Mountainside Medical Equipment offers the best supplies for doctors, nurses, and other medical professionals at great prices. Visit us today!