Is Your New Year's Resolution Helping or Hurting?
Each year 500,000 workout related injuries are reported in the United States, primarily as a result of individuals trying to do too much too fast. It is important to remember that although we have resolved to improve ourselves this year, it is wise to introduce new workouts slowly and safely.
Some of the most common reasons an individual will suffer workout injuries include:
** Improper stretching
** Poor technique
** Excessive weight
** Overusing muscles
Here are a few tips to ensure your success and safety:
1) Stretch thoroughly before and after exercising. Don’t forget to stretch the muscles that aren't targeted.
2) Consult a physician before engaging in any new workout regimens.
3) Consult with a personal trainer for proper techniques, goals, and routines.
4) Start with low weight sets and then gradually increase while maintaining proper technique.
5) Allow the muscles to rest and alternate the targeted areas for each workout.
Incorporating these tips will help ensure that you get the most out of your workouts.