Swollen, painful, and itchy veins in the anus or rectum are referred to as hemorrhoids. Very common, hemorrhoids can be particularly uncomfortable and may require treatment or minor surgery to alleviate symptoms. Often, hemorrhoids can be prevented by drinking plenty of fluids, consuming fiber rich foods, and using stool softeners to reduce straining during bowel movements.
Causes of Hemorrhoids
- Often associated with pregnancy and childbirth due to increased pressure.
- Straining during bowel movements
- Long seated periods
- Anal infections
- Cirrhosis of the liver
- Ache, itch, or pain near the anus
- Bright blood in the stool, on toilet paper, or toilet bowl
- Painful bowel movements
- Hard, tender lumps near the anus
- Stool guaiac tests - checks for the presence of blood in the stool.
- Sigmoidoscopy - examination of the rectum through the colon
- Anoscopy - examination of the anus
- Corticosteriod creams to reduce pain and swelling
- Lidocaine-based creams to reduce pain
- Stool softeners to help reduce straining and constipation
- Witch hazel to reduce itching
- Sitz Baths to make the affected area more comfortable
- Surgery such as infrared coagulation, rubber band ligation, and hemorroidectomy
Hemorrhoids can be extremely uncomfortable, but in most cases do not lead to any more severe condition. Often, it is advised to wear comfortable cotton undergarments and shy away from perfumed papers or lotions to reduce irritation.
Shop online for hemorrhoid treatment products and stool guaiac tests today, or call to speak with a trained representative at 1-888-687-4334.