Catheters are used to guide urine out of the bladder. Prior to inserting a catheter, gather all the necessary materials.
Follow the steps below to insert a catheter
- Assist patient into supine position where the legs are spread and feet are together
- Open catheterization kit and catheter, prepare the sterile field and put on sterile gloves.
- Check balloon for patency and generously coat the distal portion (2-5cm) of the catheter with lubricant and apply the sterile drape to the patient
- If the patient is female, separate the labia using non-dominant hand. If the patient is male, hold the penis with the non-dominant hand. Maintain the hand position until preparing to inflate the balloon
- Using your dominant hand to handle the forceps, clean the peri-uretheral mucsoa with cleansing solution. Cleanse anterior to posterior, inner to outer, one swipe per swab, discard swab away from sterile field
- Pick up the catheter with a gloved hand and dominant hand. Hold the end of the catheter loosely coiled in your palm of the dominant hand
- In men, lift the penis to a position perpendicular to patient’s body and apply light upward traction with the non-dominant hand
- Identify the urinary meatus and gently insert until 1 to 2 inches beyond where urine is noted
- Inflate balloon using correct amount of sterile liquid, and gently pull catheter until inflation balloon is snug against the bladder neck
- Connect catheter to drainage system and secure the catheter to the patient’s abdomen or thigh - without tension in the tubing – and place the drainage bag below bladder level
- Evaluate catheter function and the amount, color, odor and quality of urine
After your catheter insertion is complete, your provider will document the size of the catheter used, the amount of water in the balloon, your response to the procedure and assess your urine to be sure that you are responding well to the catheterization.
Mountainside Medical Equipment is a proud supplier of a variety of catheters. Shop for catheters on our website, or call 1-888-687-4334 for assistance from an informed Medical Supply product specialist.