A Colon Cleanse and a Laxative are both designed for similar uses, but they are not the same. A Colon Cleanse is a type of cleansing which is designed to promote complete intestinal health and regular bowel movements. The process of a colon cleanse usually involves fermenting and/or cleansing the intestinal tract through water, refraining from eating certain foods, taking herbal or nutritional supplements, and sometimes using enemas or supplements. Colon cleansing is usually done as a part of a holistic health approach intended to improve overall health.
A Laxative, on the other hand, is a medicine which is designed to relieve constipation and speed up digestion. This can be done by either softening or increasing the flow of stool. Laxatives come in many forms, including over the counter pills, liquids, powders, and even suppositories. While laxatives can be helpful to those suffering from constipation, they do not promote intestinal health or promote regular bowel movements the way Colon Cleanses can. Additionally, long-term use of laxatives can lead to an unhealthy dependence on them.
In summary, Colon Cleanses are a more comprehensive approach to intestinal health, and are focused on promoting regular bowel movements and overall intestinal health and wellness
For those who suffer from constipation and irregular bowel movements, relief is often found through the use of laxatives and colon cleanses. Both products are designed to be safe, effective and produce similar results, but the difference between the two lies in how they achieve results.
Laxatives act to soften the stool and evacuate feces from the colon relatively quickly. Most laxatives contain chemical properties, including Milk of Magnesia, Colace, Dulcolax, and Kaopectate; and are available in various forms including tablet, capsule, suppository, and powder. Laxatives are also available in everyday food sources. Some natural laxatives include coconut oil, raisins and prunes. Routinely incorporating fibrous food sources into the diet can produce enhanced bowel regularity. Consequently, too much of a laxative (regardless of type) can produce adverse affects including frequent diarrhea and dehydration, among others.
Colon Cleanses achieve similar results to laxatives, but generally work over a longer period of time - usually around 10 days. Colon cleanses flush the entire digestive tract, as opposed to just the colon. Often made with all-natural ingredients, these products are designed to detoxify the digestive system and remove excess waste that may be stuck to intestinal walls or the colon. Additionally, they are formulated to be more gentle than a laxative and to “help” you go, rather than “make” you go right away.
Benefits of Colon Cleanse
- Improved digestive health: A colon cleanse can help increase digestion efficiency, leading to fewer digestive problems such as bloating and constipation.
- Detoxifies and removes toxins from your body: The process of a colon cleanse helps to remove toxins and other potential impurities from your body, giving you an overall wealth of health benefits.
- Improves nutrient absorption: By removing potential blockages within the colon, the process allows for improved nutrient absorption that leads to better overall health.
- Supports weight loss: While a colon cleanse is not just an ideal form of weight loss, it can help people achieve their desired results when used in combination with a healthy diet and exercise.
- Helps reduce bloating: A colon cleanse may help reduce bloating and improve the overall functioning of your digestive system.
- Enhance energy levels: Removing toxins and improving nutrition absorption leads to increased energy levels as a result.
- Nourishes probiotics and supports beneficial bacteria: The colon contains beneficial bacteria that help with processes such as digestion and elimination. A colon cleanse can help replenish friendly bacteria, supporting their health benefits.
- Prevents disease: By cleansing the colon and removing toxins, the elimination of disease-causing pathogens is possible, leading to greater overall health consequences.
Benefits of Laxatives
- Improves digestion.
- Alleviates constipation.
- Soothes abdominal cramps and bloating.
- Aids in removing harmful toxins from the body.
- Can help support healthy weight loss.
- May reduce levels of cholesterol and heart disease risk.
- Can help eliminate bloating and a feeling of carrying excess weight.
- May reduce the risk of certain types of cancer.
- Can increase regularity of bowel movements.
- Can reduce discomfort associated with stomach issues.
Disadvantages of Using Laxatives
- Experiencing dehydration from prolonged use
- Becoming dependent on laxatives for going to the bathroom
- Unintentionally causing electrolyte imbalances in body due to dehydrations and frequent evacuation
- Becoming problematic if taken for reasons other than constipation or other medical reasons, such as weight-loss
- Myriad of side effects, including bloating, gas, stomach cramps, nausea, and diarrhea
- Causing disruption to general body processes and practices, such as how the natural body should extract nutrients from foods and regulate healthy intestinal motility
- Risk of dangerous side effects, such as increased pressure and recto-vaginal prolapse or even intestine perforation.
- Possibility of long-term digestive health problems due to disruption of intestinal flora balance