There are a few realities to contest with for anyone using an ostomy pouch, however, those who have experience share common best practices. These top 10 ostomy change tips address skin irritation, changing, placement, and odors. We hope that this information will help new ostomy users address some of the major concerns.
1) Creating a seal - warming the adhesive on the flange or utilizing an Eakin seal can make the materials more pliable and adherent preventing leakage and easing application.
2) Supply storage - keeping all supplies organized in a bathroom drawer, and a prepared travel bag can make the process more efficient especially for persons on-the-go.
3) Protecting clothes - keep safety or clothes pins handy with supply to keep both hands free, making changes and cleaning easier and keeping clothing safe.
5) Showering - using a plastic or cloth barrier during showers, and using a hair dryer after will minimize adherence issues and reduce moisture between the appliance and the skin.
6) Around stoma openings - when cleaning, shaving, or drying around the stoma, using a small piece of paper towel to protect the opening will wick away moisture.
7) Skin irritation - use a recommended barrier around the stoma to prevent irritation to the skin around the opening.
8) Emptying waste - using a mild lubricant or liner inside the pouch will encourage reuse and make emptying more convenient and thorough.
9) Skin care - various methods exist including Sween Cream, Coloplast Skin Prep, a mixture of baking soda and water, or Aloe Vera gel for soothing irritated skin.
10) Disposal - consider sealable containers and readily available black disposal bags for discreet disposal of waste and used appliances.
The above top 10 ostomy change tips should help new appliance wearers to maintain an active and confident lifestyle despite the challenges they face. Browse online for ostomy care products or call today for more information at 1-888-687-4334.